Tuesday, March 11, 2014

52 Week: 5 movies for Lolitas

Ack! I'm totally off what was supposed to be my new posting schedule! I'm so sorry about that... I was in Tucson this past weekend for Wild Wild West con, and when I got back on Sunday I was so tired I slept through the entire day! (Thank you, American Airlines, for the 6 AM flight... I only got about two hours of sleep!) But Spring Break is just crazy in general, it really is!

I'm not going to mention the more "traditionally" Lolita movies (like Kamikaze girls) and instead focus on which movies make me personally want to get dressed up in frills! So... this might lead to a rather strange list!

1. My Neighbor Totoro

This one speaks the most to my personal taste in my Lolita wardrobe. It gives me that same sort of happy feeling that I get when I wear Lolita, and so the two go naturally hand in hand. Plus, my entire wardrobe could fairly easily be a country coord, so the wardrobe itself has a similar aesthetic to the movie.

2. The Mummy

I have loved this movie ever since I was seven and it came out. I was already interested in Ancient Egypt at the time, and this just made that interest explode (and probably helped root archaeology in my mind and so is partially responsible for my choice in major.) There's just something about this movie that's sweeping and romantic and exciting and makes me want to dress up! And while, of course, Evelyn's outfits are nowhere near Lolita, I still think about making a coord inspired by one of her dresses!

3. Frankenstein

Frankenstein makes this list for virtually the same reasons as The Mummy. It's a movie that is near and dear to me; I had it memorized as a kid. The black and white, gothic, aesthetic of it just goes perfectly with Lolita, in my opinion!

4. Howl's Moving Castle

I feel like a lot of Lolita's have seen this movie... I'd love to make a coord based on Sophie, but just the whole look and feel of the film fits in very nicely with a frilly mood. The romantic elements, yes, of course, but mostly just the world of the movie in general. I also adore the book... if there was a "books for Lolita's" list, it would make it on there in a heart beat!

5. The Woman in Black

Again... the world of the movie. I LOVE this movie... it's one movie (along with, say, The Conjuring, or Insidious) that continues to scare me no matter how many times I've seen it. Like Howl's Moving Castle, the book would also make it on a book list in a half a second. The sets are eerily beautiful, and the whole thing is just a fantastic ghost/gothic story. I think that Daniel Radcliffe did a fantastic job with this, so much of the movie he's the only actor in a scene (well, save for Liz White playing the ghost herself) and he makes the whole thing so very believable. Getting a little off track, I was frustrated with the amount of people making Harry Potter comments... Daniel Radcliffe does an excellent job in making Arthur Kipps a completely separate character, and I wish people would see that. But yes, this movie is worth a look, Lolita or no! 

No comments:

Post a Comment