Sunday, September 21, 2014

52 Week: Combining other fashions with Lolita

This one might be short-ish but considering that this will be like the fourth thing I've posted today, I think that's okay.

I am a big fan of combining fashions! If you never introduce new things into a fashion, then the the fashion can't grow, becomes static, and then becomes boring and slowly dies off. I have said this many, many, times for a lot of different things. However, I think that combining things needs to stay in the realm of the rules. Also it needs to look good as an outfit in general, that's probably the most important thing.

For example: I'm starting to amass a collection of resin jewelry. I know that a lot of people wear resin jewelry with both Fairy Kei and OTT sweet (or just sweet) and it looks absolutely fantastic. I, however, have not done that yet, because the jewelry that I have would not look good in a coord with the dresses I have. The colors match, yes, but while I think that a resin star with little dinosaur sprinkles in it would look adorable in a Fairy Kei or even the right OTT Sweet coord, it would not look good with my own coords, which are usually more old school sweet, country, or classic. Kind of like how, while some of the colors are also similar, I wouldn't wear the same necklace with one of my Sunday dresses. I think this should be common knowledge but sometimes I'm surprised.

I think combining fashions is really best done only when you are very immersed in both fashions. I think that Peachie does a great job of combining elements of Fairy Kei with elements of OTT sweet. I however, would not be able to do the same thing with near the amount of success, because I don't know very much about Fairy Kei. I would love to apply some Mori-girl or Aristocrat elements to my lolita (there's a girl in my comm who I believe does Aristocrat as well as lolita and her coords are fantastic and elegant and wonderful) but, again, I'm not as familiar with those as I am with lolita, and I think it would definitely show.

If you want to add elements of something into your main fashion of choice, but you're not very familiar with that "something," look around for pictures of people who have done it successfully. Learning from them will give you a start, and then you can learn more about that other fashion and begin successful forays into combinations!

... Oh wow, this is actually a decent length, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment